(updated as of 08/15/2014)
Advanced Civil Process
September 22-26, 2014
40 plus years in law enforcement, 27 years civil law experience, author of LexisNexis “Civil Process for Texas”.
Sheriffs’ Association of Texas will provide students with the current edition of LexisNexis “Civil Process for Texas” & John Steinsiek with provide the current edition of “Civil Forms" on a computer disk.
Students need to bring a laptop with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel are need to run the forms program) and a jump drive.
The students will work real papers in class and complete returns.
Course Content (Agenda):
1. General Rules and codes that governs issuing process, service fees and the officers’ duty.
2. Citation, subpoenas, and notices.
3. Prejudgment Writs and Bonds.
4. Post judgment writs, finance code, liability, exempt property.
5. Other Writs, certiorari, habeas corpus, mandamus, protective orders and others.
6. Landlord Tenant Relations, eviction, writ of reentry, writ of restoration and others.
7. Manufactured Housing.
8. Tax Suits.
9. The New Justice of the Peace Rules.
Must attend entire week to receive TCOLE Credit. No partial credit will be given.
Class is limited (6 slots left) – registration is required. Once registration has been confirmed, hotel reservation information will be forwarded.